Thursday 15 May 2014

Spare Snakewood



Most people who have been in the shop know I have a bit of a wood problem. There is wood everywhere, hanging off the walls, leaning against the walls, tucked under the tables of the jointer, under the tablesaw and just piled in the middle of the floor. I don’t throw much out either - many of the little bits get saved and given away to friends or find their way into scrap boxes - you just never know when you are going to need ’em. 

I have a growing collection of smallish pieces that are just big enough for the smallest planes, and the introduction of the K4 has made many of these perfectly viable.

Some of it is very old Snakewood - offcuts from a violin bow maker. They are less than 6" long, but have exquisite color and pattern to them, not to mention they have been properly seasoned. I have only used Snakewood once before and was dying to use it again.




There was one piece in particular that was large enough for a couple of K4 sets. There is one small rectangular off-cut, but otherwise, the entire piece was used. It felt great to have so little waste. I decided to make another ‘spare’ along side the commissioned plane.





These 2 planes are identical other than one has a bronze lever cap and screw, and the other has a stainless steel lever and screw.




They are 4-1/2" long, have a 52.5 degree bed angle and a 1-1/4" wide, high carbon steel blade.



(click on any of the images for a larger view) 


The K4 with the bronze lever cap and screw is already spoken for but the other is available.












 


The K4 with the stainless steel lever cap and screw is $2,100.00 Cdn + actual shipping costs (and applicable taxes for Canadian customers). 
 













In other news, I will be at the new Lee Valley store in Vaughan on Friday May 23rd and Saturday May 24th demonstrating planes along side Dan Barrett, Rob Lee and Doug Orr. I will have several infills with me so if you want to try any of them out please stop by and say hello.



4 Comments:

Anonymous Brad Quarrie said...

I'm heading to roll my coins right now!
Once again, nicely done my friend.

15 May 2014 at 20:45  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Wow the one that is available is stunning hope it sell fast so it doesn't haunt my dreams #someday

15 May 2014 at 23:25  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Konrad,

Those chamfers are perfect. You clearly put a lot of thought into the detailing on those.

The wood is beautiful too.

Dan

17 May 2014 at 11:03  
Anonymous Tim said...

I love these. They look fantastic as usual, but I definitely like the one with the bronze better.

20 May 2014 at 18:48  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home