Thursday 16 April 2009

A not-so ugly duckling


I am just finishing off four XSNo.4’s and was struck by the comical nature of them lined up on the “work in progress” table - the blonde really did look quite out of place surrounded by the brunettes. Two of these are Ebony infilled, one Blackwood and the blonde is English Boxwood.



I saved the boxwood XS for last - and worked on the balcony for the first time this year. What a treat! As I was enjoying the vitamin D (and working on altering my mayonnaise complexion) - I was reminded how much I like my Auriou rasps. I have several left handed rasps and they are in constant use. Mike Hancock called me a few months ago to let me know that Auriou was back in business - news I was delighted to hear. I have had the pleasure of meeting Michel Auriou several times over the years. Not only is he a phenomenal toolmaker and extremely knowledgeable in all things steel - he is a wonderful person. It would have been a serious blow to the woodworking community if Auriou had disappeared forever. I am so pleased to hear they have returned.



One of the toughest things about working with boxwood is the fact that any gaps between the infill and the shell will stick out like a sore thumb. I have to admit, I was a little relived (and quite pleased) when I was lapping this plane and was able to confirm the fit was good.



The SNo.4 is coming along very nicely - here are two pics to show the size compared to the XSNo.4 and the No.4. It appears to have scaled very well and I can’t wait to give this plane a try.



7 Comments:

Blogger David said...

your work is just wouderfull, one day I will have one of your plane!!
I do have a questin, is there such a thing as a panel raising infill plane or metal bodyed plane!
Thank you!
David

16 April 2009 at 20:19  
Blogger Konrad said...

Hi David,

Thank-you for the kind comments and the great question. I have no idea if there is a infill style panel raising plane... I have never heard of one. I will ask a few people about it.

Cheers,
Konrad

16 April 2009 at 20:26  
Blogger David said...

Thank you,maybe you will be the first one?! anyway keep up the good work that keep us(me) dreaming!
David

16 April 2009 at 22:30  
Anonymous michael said...

hi konrad,

i was looking and the link to the auriou rasps that you posted and noticed how he grades them by grain for the coarseness. i was wondering which rasps you used for your shaping.

cheers,
michael

17 April 2009 at 00:56  
Blogger Konrad said...

Hi Michael,

I have a few coarse rasps - in the 7 and 8 grain - and find them too coarse for working exotic woods. The 9 and 10 grain are what I would consider rough shaping rasps and then the 14 and 15 grain is a mid-point refining rasp. From there I switch to files - single cut bastard files because they leave quite a smooth surface.

I think my scale of what I consider rough shaping and mid shaping is a bit skewed - but the really hard woods do not respond well to really coarse rasps. The 7 and 8 grain will chew through hard maple with ease - but not rosewood.

Cheers,
Konrad

17 April 2009 at 06:39  
Blogger tomausmichigan said...

Just love seeing the work in progress, especially your workholding set-ups. Won't the boxwood turn a milk-chocolate brown after some years?

18 April 2009 at 14:17  
Blogger Konrad said...

Hi Tom,

As boxwood ages it turns a bit golden in color - with a bit of milk chocolate in there. I am currently doing some fuming tests for boxwood to see if I can speed up the process - I would love to add 100 years to the color!

Cheers,
Konrad

18 April 2009 at 19:26  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home