Wednesday 5 December 2007

Cap iron free No.4 update


It appears that this plane works just as well without a cap iron as a similar plane with one. Which leaves me with a few questions that need answers... but I will leave that for later.

Here are the No.4 specs:

- 7-1/2" long sole
- 2" wide, high carbon steel blade (by Ron Hock)
- 52.5 degree bed angle
- .004" mouth opening

I tested the plane on some flame birch first - pictured above. I use this particular piece of Birch all the time - it is not an easy wood to plane. This No.4 did not have any problems at all - tear out free and no chattering to speak of.


Then I tried it on some pretty strait cherry without adjusting the iron at all. It produced similar shavings with ease.



The big question is.... can I justify yet another smoother for myself?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The big question is.... can I justify yet another smoother for myself?"

Yes.

Take care, Mike

6 December 2007 at 12:31  
Blogger Konrad said...

thanks Mike :)

I will take this as a green light then.

Cheers,
Konrad

16 December 2007 at 16:58  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good words.

28 October 2008 at 14:07  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home